Preparation and cooking timesPrep 45 mins
Cook 25 - 30 mins
plus 1½-2hrs rising
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 500g plain flour
- 2 x 7g sachets easy-bake dried yeast
- 100g caster sugar
- 200ml warm milk
- 200g soft butter
- 140g mixed dried fruits
- 100g mixed candied peel
- milk , for brushing
- 1-2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Beat the eggs and yolk with the vanilla. In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and ½ tsp salt. Add the warm milk and egg mixture, then beat to a very soft, sticky dough with a wooden spoon. Cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
- Drop large muffin wraps into 10 clean, 200g size cans (or use a muffin tray), or line them carefully with baking parchment so that the paper comes well above the cans to make a collar.
- Blend the butter, fruit and peel into the risen dough, preferably with your hands. Cut into 10 equal pieces and drop a piece into each prepared can. Cover again and leave until they are very well risen.
- Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Gently brush the panettone with milk, scatter over the almonds and bake for 25-30 mins until golden. Eat within 3 days, or freeze for up to 6 weeks.
472 kcalories, protein 9g, carbohydrate 71g, fat 20 g, saturated fat 11g, fibre 2g, sugar 30g, salt 0,65 g